Wednesday 19 December 2012

Mince Pie Slices with Lemon Icing

While I may begin making Christmas plans and buying presents before December hits, the one thing I manage to save until the 1st is indulging in Christmassy treats. Then I can't help but dig into chocolates, fruit cake, and my favourite, mince pies. Living next door to a bakery this year has been both brilliant and dangerous for my taste for thick buttery pastry encasing rich fruity mincemeat and sprinkled with sugar. I have had some of the best mince pies, but probably a tad too often than I should. Though isn't that the definition of this time of year?


I first made these mince pie slices last year and they went down very well. I do admit to cheating with the pastry; while most of the time I try to ensure everything I make is from scratch I feel there are some things that are acceptable to include a short cut. There is enough busyness in the kitchen at Christmas that sometimes it's more important to have these ready with as little stress as possible, and focus that extra time on spending it with loved ones.


This recipe is easily adapted to suit different tastes - include whichever dried fruit and nuts you fancy. Flaked almonds, pistachios or a few chopped glacé cherries would look particularly attractive in my opinion.

Mince Pie Slices with Lemon Icing

Adapted from Good Food

This twist on a Christmas favourite combines an extra fruity mincemeat filling with flaky puff pastry, drizzled with a zesty icing

Mince Pie Slices with Lemon Icing
Cuts into 12 slices

Ingredients

  • 400g jar mincemeat
  • 1/2 apple, cored, peeled and finely chopped
  • Zest of 1 lemon, plus 2 tsp juice
  • 40g dried cranberries
  • 25g chopped nuts
  • 1 heaped tbsp ground almonds
  • 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
  • 50g icing sugar

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas Mark 7. 
  2. Combine the mincemeat, chopped apple, lemon zest, cranberries and nuts in a bowl.
  3. Roll out the pastry and trim the end to make a 23cm square. Lay on a baking tray.
  4. Scatter the ground almonds evenly over the pastry. Spread the mincemeat mixture over the whole of the pastry, right to the edges. 
  5. Use the spare pastry to decorate the top of the slices. I cut strips and lay them over the mincemeat in a lattice pattern, making sure they are secure to the pastry base. Or cut shapes from the pastry (stars, hearts) and lay them equal distances apart. 
  6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the pastry is risen and golden. Leave to cool.
  7. Once cool, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice. A little water may be needed to reach the right consistency. Drizzle the lemon icing over the mince pie and cut into 12 slices. 

3 comments:

  1. I can vouch that these are very tasty! And addictive x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing.... mouth watering... yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...