Sunday 4 November 2012

Stand up for what is beautiful

There is so much incredible new music coming out at the moment I can barely keep up. I just want to sit and listen all day, absorbing as much as possible.

Nico Vega

Despite having quite a break since their first full length album due to singer Aja Volkman's pregnancy, Nico Vega haven't stopped working and this week released a video for a new song. Cue a lot of excitement - I've adored this band ever since stumbling upon them soon after their first CD release, which remains one of my favourite albums. The rawness and passion of Aja's voice combined with energetic rock makes for some pretty awesome music. The lyrics encourage individuality, freedom and compassion and stand out as something truly creative and empowering. This live version of 'Beast' never fails to blow me away.


Their new song 'We Are The Art' differs from their raw rocky sound, going in a more electronic direction than previously. Opinions have been varied regarding this: personally I love it. As a relatively young band,  they have lots of room to grow and develop their sound, yet they have still kept the style of lyrics and power that defines Nico Vega. I did find myself wishing that the electronic modifications on Aja's voice wouldn't last throughout the whole song, but I think in the context of an album (that I have a feeling is going to be pretty varied) this song will fit in well and add an extra dimension to their current music. Hearing this has gone me super excited for their second album, which is due out sometime next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...